Monday, November 22, 2004

Podcast1024: Ostinato by Gene Ward Smith

This is the most accesible work I know by a marvelous tuning theoretician named Gene Ward Smith. Gene is full of terrific ideas about tuning systems, and has an encyclodedic knowledge of the area. I picked a very single narrow range of microtonal theory, the Partch tonality diamond, for my exploration. Gene has been able to make innovations in dozens of areas. Take a look at his theory web page to get an idea what he is up to. He has information there about such areas as:

The Wedge Product
The Wedgie
The Brat
Bosanquet Lattices
TOP and Tenney Space
The seven limit lattices
Hahn Distance
Comma Sequences
I don't have a clue what they all mean, but just sit back end let this set of changes wash over you. It all makes sense after a while.

If you want to hear this podcast directly, click here to listen. Or drag the Podcast logo: this RSS feed to your iPodder or Doppler download window.

Visit my web site

Listen to my music